Subject: Re: How broken is Gnome on NetBSD? - re-edited
To: Al Urbaitis <aurbaiti@svc.picker.com>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/2001 17:27:51
Al,

Thanks, Al. I vastly appreciate your concern. I had
already searched GNATS about KDE and KDE2 without gaining
any heads-up before putting time and effort into the
installation. Which time and effort are now gone to
waste.

Another individual took great offense at my considering
it a personal obligation to forewarn others lest they too
waste their own time and effort. Please know that it was
not a threat directed at persons responsible for NetBSD.
I merely consider the sharing of such experience to be
the duty of all responsible consumers.

I mentioned two other links, of prior such posts that I
had made. I was entirely factual in the writing of them.
They were utterly free of personal vindicive. Elsewise
AAA Insurance or Brundage Roofing would have had cause
for suit. They did not sue. These two elected to pay.
They paid, but still I did not take the pages down. The
one about AAA has now been up for two years, a full year
after they paid off in full on my claim.

My posting of those pages was not a tool to extort
something back from them. I posted those pages as a
service to all other consumers. I posted those pages
because I had desparately wished that other folks might
have done the same for me. So...it was not a threat, not
a prod, not a whip.

I myself am never moved by any such goad. So I do not
expect it of others. I merely give notice as to what to
expect. Just as I had wished to be given notice of what
to expect before I invested time and effort trying to
work with KDE.

One person, I don't recall who, made the briefest mention
of the fact that some things are broken in KDE on NetBSD.
They didn't say what.

The package system itself ought to give notice as to what
is broken. The GNATS pages are totally useless to a
newbie. I have six computers at home. I have five
computers I use at work. Yet on NetBSD I am such a newbie
that the GNATS reports are total gibberish to me. That is
ignorance on my part, I know.

But, it is presumed that NetBSD does not shun newbies,
yes? In fact, I had thought that NetBSD sought to recruit
newbies.

I don't ask that everything work. But I do want to know
beforehand what works and what doesn't. I would gladly
avoid what is known to not work. I would glady use
instead something which works. But it is by no means
unreasonable to want to know if it works or not.

Here are the links to the prior pages which I mentioned.
A sample of my sense of duty as a responsible consumer.
Would that others should make an equal effort.

http://home.att.net/~oinkfreebiker/Overspray.html
http://home.att.net/~kstarling

Thanks again Al, for your offer. If my next big effort at
NetBSD is not thwarted in some undocumented fashion, I
will hang in a bit longer. That is what I said I would
do. That I would abandon NetBSD when next I put in much
time and effort only to encounter that it was totally
wasted. I indicated I would give it one more chance. One
more chance to not totally thwart me. But I simply do not
have the time to be thwarted at every turn.

In closing let me suggest that it is not truly an open
system unless it is supported by an open society. Each OS
has its trolls, folks who wave its banner wildly shouting
slogans of support. Those folks are always certain to
take personal offense at the slightest criticsm. I shall
never be one of these. Nor, I am glad to say, have I met
many on the mailing lists for NetBSD. Only one so far...

Thanks Al,

Gan

--

Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _