Subject: Re: ftp at 4KB/s over 10/100 E-net ?!?
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/2001 12:25:23
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:

> I check out "man ne" and do not find available options
> for "media" or "mediaopt" and when I try some anyway, in
> /etc/ifconfig.ne2, the card will crash on reboot.

You're no doubt referring to a suggestion made by another poster
(which you failed to quote, making it difficult to follow this
discussion) to experiment with "ifconfig ... media ... mediaopts".
First of all, it's extremely inefficient to add the settings to
"/etc/ifconfig.ne2"  and reboot for every single change, if that's
what you're doing. It makes a lot more sense to apply the settings on
the command line, and only add them to the boot-time configuration
after you've gotten something that works.

Secondly, you stated at one point that you have the two machines
connected with a cross-over cable. For the most part, that never
works. At best, you'll get a 10baseT connection. Have you thought
about buying an inexpensive 10/100 5-port hub? You should be able to
find one for about $30 US. With that, you're likely to get a solid
100baseT connection, and if not, you can always use a hub.

Frederick