Subject: Re: How broken is Gnome on NetBSD? - re-edited
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/2001 12:06:15
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:

> Is Gnome broken too on NetBSD?

There are some issues with the current pkgsrc, but it works. If you're
looking for stability, your best bet is to stick to the
1.4.3/1.5.1/1.5.2 tagged pkgsrc.

> have been utterly wasted. Note that I am composing this
> email on my trusty Win98 machine -- because all my NetBSD
> machines are useless for KMail, all producing the same
> smtp error as detailed in prior queries on this very
> mailing list.
>
> I do not care to waste my time like that again.

Good. Who does? I suggest, first, you verify that sendmail/NetBSD is
not at fault by running some simple tests with the "mail" command line
utility, or even better, telnet to port 25 on your machine and verify
that you can send a simple message to yourself. If there's a problem
with your setup, the folks on this list can probably help you. If not,
and the problem is limited to KMail, I'd suggest you report it to the
KDE/KMail people, and try another mail client in the meantime. (I've
used "pine" and "communicator" on NetBSD, myself.)

Speaking for myself, I like to see early ports of beta and development
quality software go into pkgsrc, so that we "get in on the ground
floor", so to speak, and represent disproportionately to our numbers
with excellent bug reports and patches. It's unrealistic, though, to
expect all such packages to be well-supported by NetBSD volunteers.
Consider, there are probably as many developers working on KDE as
there are on all of pkgsrc.

Frederick