Subject: Another IP related question (Probably OT).
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Pennington <rich@introl.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/2001 07:13:43
Hi,

This is not really a NetBSD related question, but....

I'm going to be moving soon from the city to the suburbs. In the
city, I have a T1 connection, do my own name and mail serving, and
have my own set of class C IP numbers: 192.124.43.XX.

Basically, when I connected to my latest ISP I was able to convice
them to allow me to use my IPs rather than their statically or dynamically
assigned ones. I'm afraid that when I move to the 'burbs I'm going to lose
much of my autonomy. I suspect T1 is out of the question, so I think
I'll have to get a cable or DSL connection. (I'm not even sure if DSL
is available in that area yet.)

Anyone have any suggestions/experience with this issue?

It took a bit of convincing to get my current ISP to let me use
my IP addresses. It went something like:

    "You have your own IP addresses? That's not possible!"
    "I got them almost before there was an Internet."
    "Oh. Well, we'll see what we can do, but its highly unusual."

so I really don't have very high expectations. So I guess one of
my real questions might be: Is it possible to serve a few (low traffic)
websites, name servers, sendmail, etc. From behind a static (ideal)
or dynamic IP under NetBSD? I know I can use NAT for local
IPs, but is there a way to idependently make my class C IPs
available to the outside world?

Sorry about the vagueness of my question. I'm sure I'll have many more
specific questions as I move forward.

Thanks,

Rich