Subject: Re: ftp at 4KB/s over 10/100 E-net ?!?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/2001 09:53:20
I run this a 2-way test of ftp between my laptop and my
tower. Note that I am ftp-ing the same file both ways:
rsync-2.4.6.tar.gz from the package collection.

Note that on the laptop I can see the yellow "high speed"
light on the little adaptor dongle. And there is an
active" light too. The active light blinks slowly a whole
bunch of times going from tower to laptop, but blinks
very few times (or perhaps to rapidly to see) going from
laptop to tower. Here are the rates as seen on the ftp
readout.

On laptop, doing get from tower:   4.19 KB/s
On laptop, doing put to tower:   941.09 KB/s
On tower, doing get from laptop:   1.28 MB/s
On tower, doing put to laptop:    35.43 KB/s

In both cases, whether ftp is commanded on the laptop or
on the tower,when going from the laptop to the tower it
is blindingly fast.

And in both cases, whether ftp is commanded on the tower
or the laptop, when going from the tower to the laptop it
starts out medium fast, and then the KB/s ramps down to
some lower value. When commanded on the tower, it is
better, but still not good.

...On the Intel tower...

# ifconfig fxp0
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
mtu 1500
   address: 00:03:47:a0:49:27
   media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
   status: active
   inet 192.168.1.11 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
192.168.1.255
   inet6 fe80::203:47ff:fea0:4927%fxp0 prefixlen 64
scopeid 0x1

...On the ThinkPad 380Z...

# ifconfig ne2
ne2:
flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTIC
AST> mtu 1500
   address: 00:04:5a:92:6e:ae
   media: Ethernet manual
   inet 192.168.1.7 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
192.168.1.255
   inet6 fe80::204:5aff:fe92:6eae%ne2 prefixlen 64
scopeid 0x12

Doing "netstat -p ip" on either the tower or the laptop
shows zero in most columns, and only 24 packets dropped
due to no route. There are 1277 total packets received on
the laptop, and 3641 on the tower (but the tower is
on-line at the moment, I just tried a refresh on
Konqueror, and it jumped up to 3666 packets received --
so that's why).

I check out "man ne" and do not find available options
for "media" or "mediaopt" and when I try some anyway, in
/etc/ifconfig.ne2, the card will crash on reboot.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Gan Starling

--
Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _

Newbie-2-Newbie NetBSD Unix How-To Pages at...
http://om-ah-hum.com/share/gus_netbsd_index.html