Subject: Re: NIS/yp/passwd not compatible 1.5 -> 1.5.1?
To: cpctc <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, cpctc@vt.edu>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/17/2001 21:03:27
In article <004601c13f7c$1b1b8ed0$172aadbf@rrinc.com> you wrote:
> My nis/yp server is 1.5 and works fine with 1.5 clients. (everything is
> i386)
>
> I added a 1.5.1 client, and I'm able to log in, but if I do things that
> check/change my password, like 'passwd' ('yppasswd') or 'chsh', it does
> something that screws up my password on the server, and I'm no longer able
> to login from any client.
>
> I have to log in as root, do vipw, and change my password entry from
> "...:*:..." to "...::..." (no pw), then set my password from a 1.5 machine.
>
> Is this a known problem?  I don't see any mention of nis/yp or passwd in the
> 1.5.1 or 1.5.2 release announcements.

Not sure, it *might* be related to login classes. Can you give more
data here: what does the line look before you call yppasswd from the 1.5.1
client, what does it look afterward? Please copy the full line each time,
from both passwd and master.passwd.

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html