Subject: NIS/yp/passwd not compatible 1.5 -> 1.5.1?
To: NetBSD-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: cpctc <cpctc@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/17/2001 09:24:39
My nis/yp server is 1.5 and works fine with 1.5 clients. (everything is
i386)

I added a 1.5.1 client, and I'm able to log in, but if I do things that
check/change my password, like 'passwd' ('yppasswd') or 'chsh', it does
something that screws up my password on the server, and I'm no longer able
to login from any client.

I have to log in as root, do vipw, and change my password entry from
"...:*:..." to "...::..." (no pw), then set my password from a 1.5 machine.

Is this a known problem?  I don't see any mention of nis/yp or passwd in the
1.5.1 or 1.5.2 release announcements.