Subject: ftp at 4KB/s over 10/100 E-net ?!?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/15/2001 16:44:16
It's taking all day to ftp my /usr/pkgsrc_distfiles over Ethernet with
Linksys 10/100 cards at both ends.

Source machine is a tower, Intel D815EEA2 motherboard, the dest machine is
ThinkPad 380Z. Both run NetBSD 1.5.1. The source machine also is running X,
specifically KDE2 -- but I am not doing much on it -- except to write this
e-mail. The dest machine is not runnning X. The ftp seems to hover in the
neighborhood of 4.10KB/s.

Both ends are Linksys 10/100 cards. The source machine is NetBSD driver fxp0,
the dest machine is NetBSD driver ne2. They are connected directly together
via a Cat 5, X-over cable -- no hub or switcher.

Is this a to-be-expected "feature" of ftp, or should I maybe investigate
something?

Thanks,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI USA