Subject: Faster copy than ftp over Ethernet?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/15/2001 12:54:10
Howdy All,

I'm pretty happy with my NetBSD tower, now. Thought I'd like to upgrade my
ThinkPad laptop to match it. Figured to just transfer all the
pkgsrc_distfiles from tower to laptop.

Not knowing any better way, I'm using ftp for the transfer of
/usr/pkgsrc_distfiles from the tower to the laptop over the Ethernet they
both share. Sure is slow, though...

So, I'm wondering if there isn't a faster way to move files from, say...

/usr/pkgsrc_distfiles on 192.168.1.10 to same dir on 192.168.1.7 over
Ethernet.

...and for later, is there a common way, a script maybe, to copy only
those files on the source-machine to the dest-machine which are not already
on the dest-machine?

Thanks,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI USA