Subject: Re: your mail
To: Ryan Doyle <rad1@cableinet.co.uk>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/13/2001 16:01:47
On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Ryan Doyle wrote:

> hiya, i picked your e-mail addy up off the net, and i was wondering if

This makes me think that you don't already use NetBSD. (And be sure to
only send emails to appropriate mailing lists; do your research before
posting.)

I encourage you to install and use NetBSD.

> you could help me. Do you know any type of hardwear i can buy that

I have a very cheap ($30) bt878 card; it is PCI-based and works with my
AMD K6-2 system. Do some searches for "brooktree" cards and you'll find a
lot.

> allows me to connect my VCR to my pc and record films and tv programs
> into my pc, as mpg or avi files?

NetBSD comes with a Brooktree 848 compatible TV card driver that works
with a variety of different standard TV cards. Plus software is available
for NetBSD to convert videos to MPEG video formats. (Plus there may be
some tools for converting the video to avi.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/