Subject: startkde now works
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/2001 22:13:17
I am writing now from KMail in KDE 2, on XFree86

Yup, I can start KDE2 now. My problem was embarrassingly simple.
Instructions which I had on hand, and in the KDE docs, applied to version 3.x
of XFree86. I had upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0. And all of the config stuff left
over from the old X was left in place. So I was editing the wrong config. I
put "startkde" in THIS file...

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

...and and KDE would start.

I haven't tried KDM yet, but I expect that that either works, or that I can
figure it out. I mostly wanted KDE to work so that I would stand a chance of
getting my wife and son to take an interest. The CLI impressed them not at
all, alas.

Thanks to all.

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI USA