Subject: Re: instability/hangups during and after installation
To: Jonathan Schmitt <jonathan.schmitt@detla.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/2001 18:22:53
On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Jonathan Schmitt wrote:

> I tried to install NetBSD but faced severe instabilitys.
> During the installation process, the pc froze two times,
> with not even ctrl-alt-del working any more. The third
> try led to a working system, but this, also, is very unstable.
> I faced two complete freezes during 5 hours of work.
> Anyone an idea?
>
> Used hardware:
> Amd K6-2 500
> 128MB SDRam
> DFI K6BV3+ Mainboard
> Fireport 40 SCSI Controller
> Sanyo 4x CDRom
> IBM DNES 309170LVD
> 3com 3c905 TXM
> Elsa GLoria XL

Also, provide us with the kernel output as found in /var/run/dmesg.boot.

And did the system report any errors when it crashed?

Did you try connecting to it from a remote system when it appeared dead at
the local console?

The tech-install mailing list is for discussing the technical details
relating to the install process. This doesn't seem like an installation
problem or a suggestion for the installation process. You'll probably get
more help from the general netbsd-help list. I carbon-copied this email to
that list. Please consider continuing on netbsd-help and not on
tech-install. You can find out more about the many mailing lists at
http://www.netbsd.org/MailingLists/.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/