Subject: Re: "make install" vs "pkg_add"
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/2001 22:17:50
On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 10:13:15PM +0200, Martin Weber wrote:
On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 07:48:48PM +0000, oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:
> I had had to do this during my install of KDE2 because I
> got a checksum error on "freetype-lib-1.3.1.tar.gz". I
> satisfied "make" by pausing and doing "pkg_add" of
> "freetype-lib-1.3.1.tgz".
>
> But "make" accpeted the outcome of that. And "make
> install" ran fine after "make" was done. But what with my
> KDM lockup problem, I look for snags.

Well. make install and pkg_add both check their dependencies
with pkg_info. So it makes no difference from what source you
do install, and this surely did not lead to your KDM problem.

btw, check on which vt [ttyE??] your kdm runs, and be sure no
getty [/etc/ttys] is running there [ttyE4 /usr/lib.... vt220 off secure],
as this causes problems afaik. Not followed the whole thread with your
problem, so it might be I'm just duplicating hints ;)

Good luck,
Martin Weber