Subject: "make install" vs "pkg_add"
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/2001 19:48:48
Who can explain?

Is there any functional difference between a package
built with "make install" versus one installed with
"pkg_add"? Are the end results the same?

For instance, if during a "make" one encounters a
checksum error, and cannot proceed with the "make" form
pkgsrc, can one then do "pkg_add" on the exact same
package, and then proceed with "make" on the rest of the
files from pkgsrc?

I had had to do this during my install of KDE2 because I
got a checksum error on "freetype-lib-1.3.1.tar.gz". I
satisfied "make" by pausing and doing "pkg_add" of
"freetype-lib-1.3.1.tgz".

But "make" accpeted the outcome of that. And "make
install" ran fine after "make" was done. But what with my
KDM lockup problem, I look for snags.

Might this have been a poor idea?

Regards,

Gan

--
Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _

Newbie-2-Newbie NetBSD Unix How-To Pages at...
http://om-ah-hum.com/share/gus_netbsd_index.html