Subject: Re: Got it installed
To: Phil Reynolds <phil@tinsleyviaduct.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/10/2001 10:31:37
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Phil Reynolds wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 05:45:38AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > I think that I see the problem.  Are you trying to mount the installation
> > floppy?  If so, it would have helped immensely to include that one little
> > word, ``installation''...  Concise has its points, but no one can read
> > your mind.
> >
> > Anyway, I don't think that mounting the install disk should be necessary.
> > (Or normally possible...)  Try booting from the install floppy and looking
> > at / to see if you have the /netbsd file.  If so, you've got it already,
> > and should be able to just copy it to your hard disk, after mounting the
> > hard disk.
>
> Can't see /netbsd there, or I'd have done that already.

If you need to run the installation floppies without a floppy drive,
the kernel plus ramdisk can be extracted by reversing the steps used
to make the floppies,

	dd if=boot1.fs of=boot1 bs=8k skip=1
	dd if=boot2.fs of=boot2 bs=8k skip=1
	cat boot1 boot2 | tar xf -
	cp netbsd /netbsd.INSTALL.gz

then boot from that directly, with 'boot wd0a:netbsd.INSTALL.gz'.

Frederick