Subject: Building GRUB / binutils and gcc
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: cpc tc <cpctc_cbw@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/09/2001 20:20:20
I'm attempting to build GRUB version 0.90 on netbsd 1.5.  Has anyone done
this successfully?

Initially, I did: ./configure, which yields:
configure: error: GRUB requires GAS .code16 addr32 support; upgrade your
binutils

... even after getting the latest binary binutils,
"cross-binutils-2.9.1.2.tgz", which would sound like a later version than
2.9.1.0.23.

So I got the latest binutils from ftp.gnu.org, binutils-2.11.2, which built
and "make install"'ed to /usr/local/bin.

Back to GRUB, I now do:
./configure --with-binutils=/usr/local/bin

.. I get pas the earlier .code16 problem, but get this:
checking whether /usr/local/bin/objcopy works for absolute addresses...
configure: error: gcc cannot link at address 2000

Further investigation reveals that a gcc command inside the configure script
seems to need the option: "-m i386nbsd" to keep it from trying to use
"i386_elf".

At this point, I'm a little beyond my experience.. can anyone offer any
advice?  Is this my problem, gcc, ld, objcopy, binutils, autoconf,
configure, or GRUB's?

All I want is a program to talk to all my various network cards and do
dhcp/bootp then tftp.. netbsd's netboot.com doesn't seem to support all the
cards the kernel supports.

Thanks.