Subject: Re: Got it installed
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Phil Reynolds <phil@tinsleyviaduct.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/09/2001 12:44:03
On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 05:50:11AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > > When you were fighting with the ethernet cards, you were able to use
> > > your keyboard to get ifconfig results, correct?
> >
> > The keyboard works, up until the point NetBSD initialises it in the full
> > installation.
>
> Hm.  Am I to understand that you never actually completed the NetBSD
> installation until after you spent a couple of days finding a compatible
> ethernet card?  I assumed that you had installed NetBSD and THEN worried
> about finding a compatible ethernet card.

I had had NetBSD before but due to a major rebuild and some problems with
the hardware and disk, had to start from scratch.

> One place to get such a kernel is off of your install disk.  I _think_
> that you should be able to boot the install disk, manually mount your hard
> disk, copy over the install disk's ``/netbsd'' kernel, unmount the hard
> disk, and reboot.  (Well, copy it to something like ``/netbsd.new'' on
> your hard disk, and make sure that it's what you want to use.  (^&)

I will try this...

> I don't know what gets removed from INSTALL kernels, offhand, but I would
> assume that you have everything needed to boot, configure a custom kernel,
> and build a custom kernel.  (Though if you're on a 486, especially if you
> don't have a lot of RAM, the later/more-bloated GCC compilers may take
> forever to build a kernel...then there's disk space issues.  (^&)

Building a custom kernel is something I will do anyway.

I hope I can shortly have some success with this.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ Internet: phil@tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95