Subject: Keeping in touch with NetBSD, what is the best ?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/07/2001 22:26:17
Hi,

I'm currently running FreeBSD for years and, from my first
intall (a 3.x, if i can remember), i've always stay tuned with the
-STABLE branch with the cvsup program, same thing for the "ports"
(packages in NetBSD jargon).

For some reasons, mainly a lack of SCSI-ATAPI layer in FreeBSD and to
discover some new emotions, i've installed a 1.5.1 release of NetBSD
on one of my i386 boxes. All my hardware runs ok (i've not yet tested
my usb scanner, though).

I've installed the cvsup package in order to track the 1.5.1 branch
and i've noticed that the samples cvsup files are always for current
release. As -CURRENT branch is not a stable one and as i'm beginning
with NetBSD, i prefer avoid such a thing : i just want latest stable
code.

Furthermore, i have a slow modem connection and i only need i386 code:
with cvsup, i know i may use the so-called "refuse files" to not
download unwanted stuff...

So my question: is there such a mechanism for NetBSD (not only for
current branch but also for stable one) ? Is there a cvsup tag other
than current ? (i've found nothing in Google or various docs)

PS: i'm conscient i'm perhaps lost with my FBSD experience, where
there is always 3 cvsup tags : one for the formal release (now 4.3),
only for security patches, one for the stable branch (now 4.4RC), for
tested code patches, one for the current branch (now 5.0), for testing
new patches and play with fire...

    Thanks in advance,
--
Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1303336865 secondes