Subject: Re: pkg_delete not complete
To: None <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
From: Paul \(NCC/CS\) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/07/2001 00:39:35
Claude Marinier wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I wonder how many people use NetBSD exclusively. I use it on servers for
> Internet services like DNS, DHCP, sendmail, etc.  I also do mail and some
> browsing on one of these systems through SSH. When it comes to Office
> applications, I use Windows NT. This may be a common approach to the
> problem you describe.

Thanks Claude,
yes it occurred to me today that alot of NetBSD use might
just be server work as opposed to the desktop. But I was originally
told that it would run my desk top apps. Anyway. I wouldn't
like to use NT though. Which is now 2000 or XP or something,
I'd rather have my hands in UNIX all day. As for Debian, a
good suggestion. Someone else suggested Suse actually because
they said it's better for ORACLE. But I have the RedHat
cdroms burnt now so I'll give it a go first. Been having trouble
getting it to mount the NetBSD disk actually, but I spoke to
a linux guy today and I have some things to try.

cheers,
Paul.

> By the way, may I suggest that you try Debian's GNU/Linux instead of the
> more popular RedHat? This is based on the impression that the Debian dis-
> tribution is more like Unix (and hence like NetBSD).
>
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:
> > So anyway guess what? I've embarked on a project at home at present to
> > find a free hard disk and install Linux (yes! Linux!!! :) on it. Try
> > and install CTWM on it, so I don't feel so "not at home", and get my
> > needed applications running on it. This can be my desktop box at home.
> > And if it is a real success then I might put linux on the desktop at
> > work and on the ORACLE box at work.
>
> --
> Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
> Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675
> 3701 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario  K1A 0Z4        http://www.dreo.dnd.ca

Paul       (pts@bom.gov.au)
National Climate Centre
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology