Subject: Re: Can't open display
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/05/2001 21:09:23
On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 11:51:14PM +0000, oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:
> When I'm starting netscape communicator, sometimes I get
> this...
>
> # communicator
> Error: Can't open display:
>
> ...what does that mean and how do I make it go away and
> avoid it for later.

The DISPLAY environmental variable needs to be set to point at your
screen.

In sh/ksh/bash, do something like:
DISPLAY=your.hostname:0.0

Or csh/tcsh:
setenv DISPLAY your.hostname:0.0

You'll also need to use xauth to give the remote machine access to your
screen.

Of course, if you are just running communicator on the machine you have
your X server on then DISPLAY just needs to be set to ":0.0" (without the
quotes). You shouldn't need xauth in that case.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper