Subject: Re: pkg_delete not complete
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Paul \(NCC/CS\) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/05/2001 10:27:11
Please note: following is a long email but I think it's
a very interesting and worthwhile topic to think about.

Hi all,

this is a really interesting email by Gan Uesli Starling
and I thought I'd respond to it to perhaps give us
(NetBSD 'ers) something to think about.

I'm a very BIG fan of NetBSD. Like it says in the doco
NetBSD is well written, lean, well engineered code that
is a pleasure to work with. There is no better operating
system to have underneath you. And the community is
most helpful, friendly and interesting. But. There is a
but coming, but wait.

I started with Linux in 96 then FreeBSD in 98 and NetBSD
in 2000. Nowadays I have a FreeBSD box at work running
ORACLE. A NetBSD at work for my main machine
on desktop. NetBSD desktop at home. NetBSD on sparc
at home. And another utility box with Redhat 6.2 on an
old pentium at home.

However here is the but. For developing code and for
shear UNIX pleasure NetBSD running CTWM is damn
unreal.

But I NEED certain tools to do day to day work with, at
work and at home. I need these to work straight away.
Least mucking about possible. I need Netscape browser,
Netscape mail, Staroffice for microsoft word docs because
I must be able to read and respond to these in my job, and I
need to run ORACLE so I can carry out development
work in this area. Also it would be nice to be able to run
some things like the Real audio player that I suddenly
needed the other day.

Now all the above apps are Linux binaries run under
emulation. The trouble is that there all collectively
flakey. Some are a bit buggy. All are hard to upgrade.
Some don't work as well as they should. Some don't
work at all. And the round and round the circle problems
with the package source system experienced by Gan Uesli
Starling is something I am quite familiar with. I often
end up having to upgrade my entire OS and package
source and packages to get one new app to work.

I think that to some extent NetBSD 'ers don't need
to care about some of this, and fair enough I reckon,
because NetBSD is really about a top quality operating
system. And honestly thats a very good goal. It's just
from a practical standpoint I need these other apps
to serve my needs as well. And I do find NetBSD and
FreeBSD for that matter having to run Linux emulation
all the time, a bit lacking. I do hope that this is taken
as constructive discussion / criticism. I want to still
run NetBSD wherever possible.

So anyway guess what? I've embarked on a project
at home at present to find a free hard disk and install
Linux  (yes! Linux!!! :) on it. Try and install CTWM
on it, so I don't feel so "not at home", and get my needed
applications running on it. This can be my desktop box
at home. And if it is a real success then I might put linux
on the desktop at work and on the ORACLE box at
work.

For me, believe me this is totally AMAZING! It's a tiny
bit like going back to windoze in the early 90's, unthinkable:).
But nowhere near that bad:)).
I hope it works out. Linux is still cool. It's still UNIX.
Still it's sad for me to do this and I don't really want to do it.
I wish I could stay total NetBSD but it's just not practical.
I 'll still have a least one NetBSD box running on SPARC.
And at this stage it's still a project yet to prove itself. I'm
not sure if running Linux will reveal horrible things that I
find difficult to live with yet, but I need to give it a go. So
I'm not "leaving" NetBSD, not by a long shot. But for these
applications I have  to give Linux a shot at that role or part
of my computing infrastructure.

In the interest of NetBSD.

regards,
Paul.