Subject: dhclient configuration
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Sernatinger <msernatinger@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/04/2001 12:00:48
I connect to the internet using an ethernet connection supplied by my
apartment. All the information is configured using DHCP, and therefore I
have endeavored to set up DHCP on my brand new (first time) install of
NetBSD 1.5.1. This seemed like it would be easy to do.

At first, I simply ran dhclient from the command line to see if it would
work and it seemed to do fine. I could ping the outside world. Following
that, I proceeded to edit the (heretofore nonexistant) /etc/dhclient.conf
file and the /etc/rc.conf file to enable DHCP at boot. Here is where I am
stuck. I added the line

dhclient=YES

to my /etc/rc.conf file, and tried to configure the /etc/dhclient.conf file
as explained on the netbsd.org HOWTO. However, this did not yield any
results, I encountered a number of errors. I tried many edits to
/etc/dhclient.conf without knowing entirely what I was doing, and I
frequently got errors of the type "Expected command at line x" or "expected
semicolon" (on lines ending with semicolons). I could not figure out exactly
what problem the script had with my placement of semi-colons. From what I
could tell, they were correct. After a point, I simply deleted the entire
contents of the /etc/dhclient.conf file, without deleting the file itself.
Now, upon boot, I find myself able at least to ping other machines in the
apartment, though attempts to ping www.yahoo.com were unsuccessful, meaning
either that I cannot ping the outside world (no gateway), or I cannot
resolve domain names (no DNS). So I was wondering if anyone had some advice
on how to edit this file to get functional internet. Thanks.