Subject: pkg_delete not complete
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/04/2001 11:02:21
WHAT I ATTEMPTED: Tried to pkg_add KDE 2.x over ftp
URL...

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5/i386/All/

...without success. Only some very few things installed,
not enough for KDE 2.x. (I have entered that command so
many times I have memorized the URL -- I am giving up on
FTP install from now on).

WHAT HAPPENED: Got a whole lot of "add of dependency
failed" and other failures. Only some very few things
installed. Not enough to run KDE 2.x. (Which gives me to
wonder where are they if not in the directory "All"?)

WHAT I NEED: So now I want to install KDE 1.x instead.
Have truly ALL the dependencies on cdrom, as have done
before on a laptop from the Wasabi disks. But it happens
that the some few things that did install are newer
dependencies than KDE 1.x needs. So I get "resolve this
conflict" from pkg_add.

So I pkg_delete on those packages. But pkg_delete does
not fully delete. So I still can't pkg_add. And further,
pkg_info reports that the package that didn't fully
delete is not installed.

So it looks like I'm stuck. Am getting very, very
frustrated with NetBSD. Except for the time already
invested, I would most likely give up on it. Damn near
everything I attempt to do is thwarted in some oblique
(and often seemingly undocumented) fashion. If it weren't
for the new NetBSD 1.5.2 complete CDROM set from Wasabi
Systems being due out soon, I swear that I would give up
on NetBSD.

I have spent the whole damn weekend and got practically
nothing to show for my time. If, after I get the new
multi-CD set from Wasabi, I still have these kinds of
major difficulties...then I WILL give up on NetBSD, and
switch over to FreeBSD, or maybe Linux. At least those
OS's have got a book that I could go out and buy.

Unhappily,

Gan

--
Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _