Subject: XFree86 4.1 & D815EEA2 motherboard
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/02/2001 15:17:57
Problems with X

Have all this:

1. Intel D815EEA2 motherboard, with on-board high-res
video.

2. NetBSD 1.5.1
3. XFree86 4.1.0

What I tried first:

Before upgrading to XF86 4.1.0, I had used XF86Setup
downloaded from NetBSD.org on the XFree86 3.x that
installs with NetBSD 1.5.1. It didn't crash, but all I
got was the top left corner, about a quarter of the
screen, blown up to fill the whole screen.

What I tried second:

Somebody said that my Intel D815EEA2 motherboard's video
was too new for XFree86 3.x and that I go to 4.1. So I
did. (That was an all night download on my 56K modem in
Win2K. Then I crashed my boot-up of NetBSD after trying
to mount the NTFS partition -- which took all morning to
fix.).

There is no XF86Setup downloadable from NetBSD.org for
XFree86 4.1, so I begged an XF86Config (copyright 1999)
off a Linux guy with the same motherboard.

What I tried thrid:

XFree86 4.1 crashes when I startx on the Linux guy's
1999 copyrighted XF86Config. So, lacking other options,
I ran XF86Setup 3.x from NetBSD.org again on XFree86
4.1. It creates an earlier copyrighted (1996?)
XF86Config. It sort-of, kind-of worked, the same as
before with XFree86 3.x. Which is to say that I got the
same blown-up, top-left quarter screen effect as before.

So...anybody got a clue?

My wife is getting quite annoyed with me spending all
day in front of the computer. Whatever may speed this
business along would be greatly appreciated. I really
don't want to admit defeat, and spend an extra hundred
bucks on a redundant AGP card.

Here's the deal:

Let somebody show me how to figure this problem out, and
I will write an excrutiatingly detailed HOW-TO on the
topic and post it on my web site with the other two
already written.

See them at:

http://om-ah-hum.com/share/gus_netbsd_index.html

Thanks,

Gan

--
Mysterious Starling -- Rarest Extinct Bird
     _