Subject: Re: Installation problem with NetGear cards
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Phil Reynolds <phil@tinsleyviaduct.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/02/2001 10:11:51
On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 08:41:59PM +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> I have recently rebuilt one of my systems around PCI-based hardware, and
> find that I am unable to install NetBSD using (at least) the latest boot
> disks.
>
> With the FA310, trying to FTP simply times out. A tcpdump on another machine
> in my local network shows that the FTP server tries to communicate with the
> machine I am trying to install, but the machine does not respond and therefore
> times out. It does appear capable of resolving hostnames, though.

I have found out why this is the case. The motherboard I am using may not
support bus mastering, which the FA310 needs. If it does, it's not configured
properly.

Does anyone know anything about bus mastering support on the GA-486AM/S?

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ Internet: phil@tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95