Subject: Re: installation help
To: Bryan Balsley <webbarbarian@hotmail.com>
From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/29/2001 22:05:39
On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:41:23AM -0700, Bryan Balsley wrote:
> Hi, this is my first time installing netBSD, and I'm encountering a few
> problems.

Hi, Welcome to NetBSD.

Which version are you trying to install? 1.5?

> I downloaded the binaries and the two images, as well as made the two
> bootable floppies. I begin booting off the floppies, going through the
> installation steps with ease. Once my disk has been prepared, I choose the
> CD-ROM as the medium I want to use to unpack all my files. And the I use the
> default device and directory (cd0 and /i386/binary/sets respectively). When
> I first came to this point, I assumed it was asking for disk 1 of the netBSD
> images I burned onto a CD. I quickly realized this was incorrect. I then
> noticed that the files it wanted were in the binary files I downloaded. So,
> I burned the directory i386/binary/sets onto a CD and attempted to use it.
> But unfortunately, nothing works. I am prompted that the files do not exist,
> when infact they do. I don't believe the problem lies in the cd0 device,
> because I can see the CD drive being accessed. Anyone have any ideas that
> could help me? Thank you!

Are you sure the binary sets are actually in that directory on your CD?

From the installer program, you could try the Utilities menu and then
running /bin/sh, and try and mount the cd to see what is on it.

e.g.
	mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /mnt
	ls -la /mnt/i386/binary/sets

	(if you get problems at this point then the files really do not
	exist in the right place...)

	umount /mnt

cheers,
--