Subject: Re: Resolv.conf Help Needed
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Owens <owensmk@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/2001 13:40:14
Yes, I tried tcpdump, and there are no packets sent out. Nothing. nslookup
just returns with the "Can't find server name . . ." without even trying. I
even looked up the name server names using whois and put them in /etc/hosts
as it seems that it wants to reverse DNS their addresses.

One thing that did work, oddly enough, is if I used a caching nameserver on
the same subnet (10.10.10.203). And it showed up on tcpdump. Then NetBSD
would resolve names using that nameserver. It's only if the name servers are
outside of the local network that name resolution doesn't work. I don't
understand. I modified the networks line in nsswitch.conf to

networks:	files [notfound=continue] dns

and also removed the domain line from resolv.conf as someone else suggested.
But this doesn't change anything.

It is true that the name servers are behind a firewall, but none of the other
systems have trouble reaching/using them, as the firewall allows port 53 TCP
and UDP.

--
           _ _
|_| |_| |_|_|_|\_\___|  | http://www.msbc.simplenet.com