Subject: Resolv.conf Help Needed
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Owens <owensmk@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/27/2001 20:36:56
This is an ebarassing question, but I am stuck. I am just starting out with
NetBSD using 1.5 CDs I ordered from Wasabi. I've configured the network
properly, except for name resolution. Despite my specifying the name servers
in the installation utility and manually in resolv.conf, I can't get the
system to resolve. I configured resolv.conf like I do every other system, and
checked all NetBSD docs, but it still does not work. I can ping outside the
network, but cannot get name resolution. My resolv.conf is simple:

nameserver 216.140.16.254
nameserver 216.140.17.254
domain c21mb.com

I have FreeBSD and OpenBSD systems using these same DNS servers.

nslookup complains about not being able to get the servername for these and
bails, but I have no problem with other systems using them. They are up and
running, and I can ping them.

Surely I've missed something, I just don't know what. I'd really like to
start using NetBSD, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I know this is
a basic question, but this is where I am stuck.