Subject: Re: the number of running processes just keeps growing
To: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/26/2001 22:50:15
On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Henry Nelson wrote:

> I don't know what I could have done, but strangely one of my servers
> doesn't end the processes that seem to be involved in those daily|weekly
> security checks.  If nothing else, at least I know why this machine would
> suddenly and completely lock up. :)
> Two questions:
> 1) What might be causing processes to not end (see the attached output
> of `ps -aux`)?
> 2) Actually, it would be nice to be able to turn off those automatically
> mailed security checks.  How can that be done?

The daily security report is started by the daily script. Read the
daily.conf manual page. To turn off the security report, set run_security
to "NO" in /etc/daily.conf. (I like receiving these daily reports; in
fact, I make sure all my Linux servers have them too!)

Maybe it is the daily script itself that is having the problems.

Maybe you can do some detective work to track down the problem. Use the
daily.conf and security.conf (see the manual page) settings to disable all
features and then selectively turn on one at a time to find the problem.
It might take a while, but you can run /etc/daily directly each time.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/