Subject: Re: Can't access aliased IPs on same box
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/25/2001 16:58:25
>> On a related note, I got an off-list suggestion to instead use the
>> /etc/ifaliases file, and this will work correctly (where aliases in
>> /etc/ifconfig.fxp0 do not). Is that the recommended way of doing
>> multihomed aliases?
>
>Sounds good to me. I think the ability to accept multiple lines in
>/etc/ifconfig.XXX was supposed to make /etc/ifaliases obsolete, but
>this issue seems to have been neglected.

on a related note, in /etc/rc.d/network it says:

        # Note that $ifaliases_xxN works only with certain configurations and
        # considered not recommended.  Use /etc/ifconfig.xxN if possible.

and also

        # Note that /etc/ifaliases works only with certain cases only and its
        # use is not recommended.  Use /etc/ifconfig.xxN instead.

but there's no explanation of where one or the other of the three
would be better.  can anyone shed any light on this?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|