Subject: Re: Brooktree/video capture and streaming on NetBSD
To: None <sudog@sudog.com>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@xxx.research.att.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/25/2001 14:16:01
In article <Pine.NEB.4.33.0106221750250.314-100000@sudog.sudog.com>,
 <sudog@sudog.com> wrote:
>- is there a mpeg vid+aud player for NetBSD? mtv hangs on all the
>systems I've tried--and the BSDI version the mtv folks have for
>download is expired and therefore useless unless i steal an mtv
>serial.
>- is there anyone out there who's managed to get one of the free mpeg
>players like lamp running under netbsd? too much native linux-isms all
>over the place, i can't port assembly either. :(

I have successfully compiled dvdview1.1.0.tar.gz and
MPlayer-0.17a_IdegCounter.tar.bz2 under i386 1.5.

there is a package for dvdview in pkgsrc, but it seems to
disable the use of MMX instructions...   i hacked it to work
with MMX.

still, i've found that MPlayer performs better than dvdview
for the files that i've got.   the fact that MPlayer is in
C rather than C++ (like dvdview) is an added bonus.

but it was a pain to compile MPlayer because of the linuxisms
and some problems assembling MMX(?) instructions with the 1.5
toolchain.

would be happy to share what i've got if there is interest.

what i really want is a software mpeg player that handles mpeg
transport streams (MPlayer does program streams).

chuck

--
Chuck Cranor                            http://www.research.att.com/info/chuck
Senior Technical Staff Member		chuck@research.att.com