Subject: Re: i386 install problem --- set files
To: Martin Ammermueller <martin81@bnro.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/23/2001 21:58:39
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Martin Ammermueller wrote:

> > Just like my laptop, except I used slip to install over a serial line.
>
> How have you done that? I transferred the tarballs via sl to the /usr
> slice of my laptop and gave sysinst the /usr-directory as
> distribution-directory because install via ftp over the sl didn't
> work for me. Sysinst told me that it can't find any network devices...

sysinst/net.c has "sl" device as one of the interface names to ignore.
So instead of rebuilding sysinst and my two boot disks, I decided to
install manually:

mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
mount /dev/wd0e /mnt/usr
cd /mnt/usr
ftp 192.168.10.10  ## my workstation with the base sets

And fetched the sets I wanted. (They averaged around 9.12 KB/s). Then I
did:

cd /mnt
pax -zrvpe -f usr/base.tgz ## and the other sets

cd /mnt/dev
./MAKEDEV all  ## this complained "chown: root: invalid user name" but ok

Then back to /mnt, did:

echo "rc_configured=YES" >> etc/rc.conf
reboot

(By the way, I keep a journal of my NetBSD experiences, so it makes it
easy for me to go back and see what I did.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/