Subject: Re: howto debug a machine that gets more and more "sluggish"
To: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Mark Milligan <wombat6926@home.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/22/2001 20:29:51
--------------1AC95A3DE38AEE7701A9D7C3

Try checking ps or top to see what processes are taking up cpu time. also
check vstat to check your virtual memory useage. Is the disk grinding a
lot??? you may have problems with your swap file, try disabling it.  Mabey
try a disk scan with fschk.

If something keeps forking processes you may have a lot of zombie process
around eating up memory and kernel resources, you will see these with ps.
It probably means something is not configured right.

Hope this helps.

Henry Nelson wrote:

> I have a machine that takes _forever_ to load a file for editing into
> vi (ca. 7 seconds) or to login to via telnet (over 30 seconds). I asked
> about this previously, thinking it was some kind of hardware problem.
> Recently, I made a big discovery: if I reboot the machine, it's _fast_.
> However, hour by hour it gets more and more "sluggish," and by the end
> of the day, it's as slow as ever. If I reboot, it perks right up. I've
> confirmed this over 6 times now, and every time it progressively slows
> down and ends up at approximately the same level of "sluggishness." Some
> things, like httpd (Apache) or compiling don't seem to be affected at
> all, or at least not noticeably.
>
> I've tried to not start up daemons one by one, but I've not hit
> on anything that seems to make a difference. Is there some way to
> systematically debug a problem like this? TIA
>
> henry nelson

--------------1AC95A3DE38AEE7701A9D7C3

begin:vcard
n:Milligan;Mark