Subject: Re: Brooktree/video capture and streaming on NetBSD
To: <>
From: None <sudog@sudog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/22/2001 18:04:13
I've actually got fxtv running and making mpeg-2 videos (with sound!)
after importing the mpeg tools "mpegaudio", mpeg_encode, and mplex
from the FreeBSD packages collection. So a pure mpeg movie is simple
enough..  My questions are:

- is there a mpeg vid+aud player for NetBSD? mtv hangs on all the
systems I've tried--and the BSDI version the mtv folks have for
download is expired and therefore useless unless i steal an mtv
serial.
- is there anyone out there who's managed to get one of the free mpeg
players like lamp running under netbsd? too much native linux-isms all
over the place, i can't port assembly either. :(
- is there any other video tools i should be looking at under netbsd?
those SDL/avifile/sp proggies are nasty--without heavy modification,
my version of that simple sp player will crash and actually completely
freeze my netbsd system as it tries to allocate outlandish amounts of
ram..
- specifically, i'm looking for encoding tools. a streaming
video/audio solution would be wonderful. is OpenDivX something that
can be used properly under NetBSD ..?

I'd be happy to talk to some people about this, or help with porting,
or ..  well, anything would be great! :)

thanks,
marc