Subject: System clock slowdown - IDT Winchip C6
To: NetBSD-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: cpctc <cpctc@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/20/2001 07:48:04
'amp' completes and exits normally; then the clock is running about 1/3 -
1/5 speed.  That is, it takes 3-5 real seconds to make the clock tick once.

This makes ping a little upset and login/logouts a little slower, and it
probably really annoys cron.

This is in a pentium 90 system with the pentium 90 cpu replaced with a IDT
Winchip C6, or "Evergreen overdrive" cpu replacement chip.  When I ran it
with windows/dos, it acted like it ran around 180 Mhz.

I'm running netbsd 1.5, with a GENERIC kernel configuration; the only
changes are:
- changing the irq of we0 to irq 3
- changing the "config root netbsd on we0 type netbsd" line

When this happens, the system does NOT seem to run slow, just the clock and
things that seem to use the clock (login/logout/shutdown -h now).

It seems to only happen if amp finishes playing an mp3 and exits.  If I
control-C out of amp, I think it doesn't happen.

Thanks.