Subject: Re: dhcp client configuration
To: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: None <collver@linuxfreemail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/14/2001 21:08:58
On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 01:20:34PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > 	send host-name "c666666-a.ccccccc.oo.home.com";
>
> Can that name above be used as a general name for the machine, i.e.,
> assuming a web server were running on it could you use that name like
> "http://c666666-a.ccccccc.oo.home.com" to access it?  Or is that name
> only known by the dhcp server?  In the case of dhcp, what would you set
> for the ServerName (Apache) when you don't have a registered DNS name?
> (Right now with a statically assigned IP address, I just use that.)
>
> TIA
>
> henry nelson

yes, the name above can be used as a general name for the machine.

if you can get a A record from a friend or a "dynamic DNS service", you
can set up that name as ServerName for Apache.

for example, yi.org offers such services free of charge.  (they did last
time i checked anyhow)

Ben
--
NetBSD: it's better than bad, it's good