Subject: Re: dhcp client configuration
To: Philip Brodd <pbrodd@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
From: None <collver@linuxfreemail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/14/2001 20:26:54
On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 09:39:49PM -0500, Philip Brodd wrote:
> I'm using a port-mac68k 1.5 machine as a router between my internal
> network and an AT&T @Home cable modem.  The machine's external interface
> had been using a static IP, but recently this started to fail
> intermittently.  I decided to try setting it up to use dhclient instead,
> but I think I misconfigured it.
>
> When I first boot the machine, or bring it up from single-user mode,
> routing seems to work, but after a while (sometimes a very short while),
> the internal network is cut off from the outside world.  I can still
> ping internal and external addresses from the router.
>
> Sorry if I'm not supplying enough information.  All I have done is to
> create an /etc/dhclient.conf containing the following:
>
> interface "ae0" {
> 	send host-name "the client ID given me by AT&T"
> }
>
> Any suggestions?

Here is my configuration:

	bash-2.04$ grep dhcl /etc/rc.conf
	dhclient=YES
	dhclient_flags="-q ep0"

	bash-2.04$ cat /etc/dhclient.conf
	send host-name "c666666-a.ccccccc.oo.home.com";
	send dhcp-client-identifier "c666666-a";
	request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name-servers;
	timeout 30;
	retry 60;
	select-timeout 5;
	script "/etc/dhclient-script";

You may (or may not) want to comment out the body of make_resolv_conf() in
/etc/dhclient-script

ps. i know my ip is not secret :)

Ben
--