Subject: Re: ftpd - allow upload entire directory ?
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/13/2001 10:36:23
On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 05:40:23PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> >> Well, this is *the* way you describe that does not work :
> >> trying to upload directories from a windows machine to my netbsd ftpd
> >> does not work (single files works). So I was wondering if it is a ftpd
> >> feature to activate or a bug in the windows client...
> >
> >OK. I have found my error !
> >
> >it was all in the /etc/ftpd.conf
> >
> >first, I removed the line
> >
> >	modify guest off
>
> i was about to suggest that we ship a short version of ftpd.conf that
> simply contains all the defaults commented out, when i realized that
> without one, i can upload files to my ftp server when logged in as
> anonymous.
>
> bug?  misunderstanding?

The default is 'upload all', so even in the absence of /etc/ftpd.conf
then upload should work for guest, because that's the documented
default. Look at libexec/ftpd/conf.c::parse_conf(), and notice that
the defaults are setup before the existence of the conf file is
tested.

Or did you mean to test if 'modify guest off' was the default (as
documented) if /etc/ftpd.conf doesn't exist?  This behaviour should
work as advertised; I'm very interested to find out if you
experience something other than this.

Luke.