Subject: Re: ftpd - allow upload entire directory ?
To: Samuel.Hornus <Samuel.Hornus@crans.org>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/12/2001 12:12:59
ftp machine.you.want.to.upload.to.com
(login with user/password)

ftp> binary     <---- unless all the files are text and you want ftp to
                      fix the cr/lf <-> lf  dos<->unix conversion, in that
                      case use "ascii" instead of "binary"; .doc files,
                      .zip, .jpg etc etc should be transferred as binary.
ftp> prompt
ftp> mput *

Should do it for you.  There undoubtedly better ways, but this should work.
Notice that this will -not- send directories, just files.

From windows, I find it most convenient to use the IE browser's interface
for ftp.  Say your destination machine is "foo.com" your user is "joe" and
pw is "fish" and you want to get/put files from the subdir "bar/" in
your home directory.   In the IE "Address" box, you'd type:

ftp://joe:fish@foo.com/bar

And then you can just drag and drop files onto IE, which will perform the
underlying FTP for you.  Once nice thing about this is that you -can-
have subdirectories transferred this way.  In fact, this is how I back up
my windows machine to my NetBSD machines.

You could also install Samba, but if this is a one-time deal, it's probably
not worth the trouble.

-Mike