Subject: Re: inetd hangs after some time
To: Florian =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=F6hr?= <florian.stoehr@login-solutions.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/12/2001 11:16:00
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Florian [iso-8859-1] St=F6hr wrote:

> after the system is running for some hours (with X/xdm/xlock),  inetd
> seems to hang:
>=20
> when I telnet or ftp from another host, nothing happens but I see that

You say "nothing happens" -- does this mean you can't log in (via telnet
or ftp)?

Do your logs indicate anything?

Does your inetd have anything else being managed so you can try
them? (Such as echo, daytime or time?)

> inetd begins to start multiple instances of itself (no ftpd).

Can you show us? (A ps listing showing multiple inetd's.)

> I have to kill and restart it (the problem disappears then).

You killed one inetd process? What about the rest (since it started
multiple instances of itself)?

Did it create a core file when you killed it? (It may depend on how it was
killed.)

Can you always reproduce this problem?

What version of NetBSD? What platform? (uname -a)

What version of inetd? (ident /usr/sbin/inetd)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/