Subject: ASUS K7M + G400 + X11 problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/11/2001 08:05:20
I have installed NetBSD 1.5 on a machine based on an ASUS K7M
motherboard with a Matrox G400 AGP video card.  Seems to work fine.
However, now that I try to install X11 (XFree86 3.3.6 distributed with
1.5) I get lots of problems depending on the X11 configuration.  The
VGA16 server works, but is obviously slow and has low resolution.  The
SVGA server (which is the right one for the card), however, causes
either machine crashes or only X11 crashes (with the machine still
responding via the net).

I have used G400 boards with other motherboards, so this is a
surprise.  Is this a known incompatability?  Should I upgrade to
XFree86 4.1.0?  Are there BIOS fixes that I need?

Any suggestions on how to fix this or what information will help track
down the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook