Subject: power failure during make build
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Audun Arnesen Nordal <audun@stud.cs.uit.no>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/11/2001 00:40:39
I attempted to upgrade my laptop from 1.5.1b2 to -current, and after
having started the final make build I left the laptop alone. When I six
hours checked back on it, I realized that due to utter clumsyness I'd
forgot to connect the power-cable before starting the compilation, and now
the inevitable had happened that it had been shut down ungracefully,
probably while it still was compiling. So now the system is in some
indeterminable state saying "init: can't exec /bin/sh for /etc/rc: Exec
format error" upon boot.

 What would be the least painful way of recovering from this? Boot from an
1.5.1 installation-floppy, choose 'upgrade', and redo the entire
1.5.1-to-current process springs to mind, but I was hoping there was a
little more clever way of doing it...

Any help to assist a great idiot like myself is appreciated :-)

Regards,

--
Audun Nordal