Subject: Re: wireless newbie: Please help with my project
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/09/2001 19:39:31
gallegos@csxxi.sepc.edu.mx (Heron Gallegos) writes:
> I am new in wireless technology, and I need help in order
> to do a wireless network with 7 public schools and our
> building in the campus. This network will permit to schools
> to have access to our intranet and have access to internet.
> (schools will be part of our intranet)

You might want to poke around the search engines for "wireless
internet" and see what folks that actually use such a system say.

bay area free internet:

        http://www.toaster.net/

Lots of wireless links:

        http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/nooze/wireless.htm

The thing to watch for is some of the equipment doesn't do full 100mW
transmission and some of it is very insensitive.

I just started poking around and the Cisco/Aironet 350 series receives
quite a bit of praise, even compared to the Wavelan/Orinoco stuff
which seems to run a close second.  Netbsd-current does have drivers
for both.

I've seen sites that claim a 5 miles range with such equipment running
at the reduced baud rates and hooked to a pair of parabolic (24db)
antennas.  They didn't say how long it took them to align the antennas
and how long they stayed in alignment. ;-)

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/