Subject: Re: GENERIC compilation question
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/09/2001 14:41:27
Georges,

On 9 Jun 2001, Georges Heinesch wrote:

> When compiling GENERIC kernel 1.5, the result is 4.745.013 Bytes long.
> /netbsd (from the original distribution) has 4.949.749 Bytes.
>
> No big difference, but it's a difference.
>
> Why is that?

The "original distribution" uses the INSTALL kernel.

The differences depend on what architecture and what is considered needed
to make installations easy.

GENERIC contains "everything that's currently supported". An INSTALL
configuration says "This kernel should be derived from GENERIC with some
features commented out. ... This kernel does NOT support X, mice, audio
devices, non-NetBSD emulation."

For details, look at /usr/src/sys/arch/`uname -m`/conf/{GENERIC,INSTALL}
and the config(8) and options(4) manual pages. (And "Building 4.4 BSD
Systems with Config" which doesn't come with the distribution I think; but
it should.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/