Subject: Installing on powermac 5500
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/04/2001 17:58:25
Guess what, I'm having trouble finding the firmware prompt :-)

Story so far:
- it's a PowerMacintosh 5500/525, allegedly with OF 2.0.3?
- installed MacOS 8.6, so that I could...
- ran bootvars
- set i/o to kbd, /bandit/ATY,264GT-B
- blank screen => must be using serial port anyway
- found another mac + cable - Is it possible to have the wrong cable, or is
  there only one type which fits?
- found Fawn can't do 38400bps => found Terminal 2.2 - known to work? anything
  else recommended?
- Still blank screen.

At the back, there is a phone jack => modem already installed. The "modem"
labelled serial port is covered by a plastic cap => the only serial port
available is the "printer" one. When running fawn and selecting "printer" as
the port, I get "The serial port you have requested is already allocated for
another use" - that can't still be true while booting into OFW can it? If
so, any thoughts on getting around it and our favorite OS onto it?

Cheers,

Patrick