Subject: Re: find question
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/03/2001 09:54:57
On 3 Jun 2001, Georges Heinesch wrote:

> Come on ... other CDs worked fine!

An important principle of troubleshooting is that no conclusions can
be drawn from a singular event. If you had said, ""find" works over
other CD's, but still not with the CD that I burned myself", it would
have made all the difference, in my mind.

I was also confused by your calling your mountpoint "/mnt/cd0".
Although you're free to make directories and mount things anywhere you
like, "/mnt" itself is usually used as the mountpoint, especially for
exposition (see hier(7)). My problem, not yours.

> I got the answer now via e-mail (from Wolfgang Solfrank).
>
> An empty (newly created directory) in NetBSD has a linkcount of 2. If
> it's filled, it's +2. The iso 9660 standard usually burns CD with a
> linkcount of 1.
>
> find sees 2 (with my CD, creating the problem) and stops searching
> since 2 means an empty directory. If !=2 is found, the recursive
> routine inside find starts.
>
> Here what ls -ld /mnt/cd0 says with the CD in question inserted and
> mounted!
>
> # cd /mnt/CD0
> # ls -ld
> # drwxrwxrwx  2 root  wheel  2048 Mar  1 14:23 .
>
> Here a properly mastered iso 9660 CD.
>
> # cd /mnt/CD0
> # ls -ld
> # dr-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2048 Sep 15  2000 .
>
> That's te reason ...

Thanks for the excellent followup!  I still have a couple of
questions, if you don't mind...

1) On the bad CD, what does "ls <mountpoint>" and "cd <mountpoint>;
ls; cd <somedir>; ls; find" give? In other words, is the CD apparently
empty by all accounts, or is it really only a problem with "find" on
the mountpoint?

2) What _is_ the wrong way to burn a CD on NetBSD? The right way?

Frederick