Subject: Re: Moving a box
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/02/2001 23:17:24
On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote
> > I have a 1.5 box running on one network and I'm going to move it to
> > another. What files do I need to change to have it come up properly
> > on the new network? Currently I have:
> >
> > /etc/ifconfig.fxp0
> > /etc/mygate
> > /etc/myname
> > /etc/hosts
> > /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > Are there others?
>
> This sums is pretty much up, however you may have to do some more work
> pending on the services that are running on this system. E.g.
> named, sendmail, httpd, squid, nfs - in other words any services that are
> connected and use the network interface.

Also, if applicable I would also check:

/etc/hosts.allow
/etc/hosts.deny
/etc/ipf.conf
/etc/syslog.conf if you log to a remote machine
/etc/aliases (or /etc/mail/aliases) depending who or how your mail aliases
 are setup (maybe root's mail goes to another email account at an
 internal host not on the new network?)

If you keep all configs in one place, you can grep through them.
But if you keep your configs all over, like /usr/local/apache/conf/,
/var/named/named.conf, /some/secret/configs/here, it becomes a lot
harder. Good luck.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/