Subject: Re: dhclient and cable modem
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Christoph Leuzinger <chris@westworks.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/2001 18:57:37
Patrick Welche wrote:
> > Listening on BPF/ep1/00:20:af:35:51:d0
> > Sending on   BPF/ep1/00:20:af:35:51:d0
> > Sending on   Socket/fallback
> > DHCPDISCOVER on ep1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^!

Yeah, that startled me, too. But I can't make out anything of it.

> 1) Is anything else randomly dumping core?

No. It's an entirely clean, fresh installation running without any
problems. :)

> 2) Can you compile up a dhclient binary with symbols and see what the core
>    dump has to say for itself?

I guess I can, but I don't know how to. ;-) So far I grabbed the
source from ftp.isc.org, but how to compile "with symbols"?

> 3) Does the server send out a DHCPOFFER ?

Not sure about that. I think it does, though, because the whole thing
works on dhcpcd/Linux (or doesn't this necessarily mean there's a
DHCPOFFER from ther server?). Is there any reliable way to find out?

Just something that crossed my mind: I don't have to have an
/etc/ifconfig.ep1, do I?

THX,
Chris.

P.S.: Sorry about that ambigous From: in the original message
--
Christoph Leuzinger

                              Student at Kantonsschule Schaffhausen, Switzerland
                                           <URL:http://www.westworks.ch/~chris/>