Subject: Re: Gnome default WM
To: None <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/2001 10:10:51
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Arto Huusko wrote:

> On 22-Huh-01, Frederick wrote:
> > There's a window manager panel in the gnome control panel. Once you
> > add a setting and switch to it, you have to save the session to make
> > gnome use that window manager on next start up.
>
> I also had trouble with enlightenment as my default GNOME WM. I had
> it set up from GNOME's window manager panel, and didn't try to run
> it from any X startup scripts.
>
> However, each time I started GNOME it apparently made no attempt to
> actually start E, so I ended up with no WM running and the above
> error request. When I went to GNOME window manager panel, it said
> that E is my current window manager. Starting it again from the
> panel it came up fine.

"sawfish" has the same problem. In fact, the docs suggest making "twm"
your default WM, and starting "sawfish" manually each session. (No
thanks!)

> I then set twm as my default window manager, and GNOME fired it up
> each time as it should. Now I use icewm, and that too works well
> with GNOME.

Are you using icewm-gnome? Not sure what that provides, that icewm
does not.

I use afterstep, custom configured to work with gnome. The "Gnome"
module moves all the afterstep menus to button 2. I have it set for no
icons (they would just confuse, since gmc provides icons), and no
Wharf. The Pager can be captured in the gnome panel, and it looks
better than the default gnome pager, plus it understands the fvm-style
quadrants (which I also eventually disabled, since they're kind of
redundant with an XFree86 large virtual screen).

Afterstep also permits any number of system-wide directories for
generating the menus, which merges with the users' and the defaults
in "/usr/pkg". I can install a new program, add a menu to
"/usr/local/share/afterstep/start" with a little script, and it's
instantly available to all users (just family, but it's still easier
than mucking with home directories).

Frederick