Subject: Gnome problems - Installation
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Power <dave.power@GTE.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/18/2001 12:02:31
Help...

Has anybody been able to get a fresh copy of NetBSD 1.5 to install gnome in
the past week (any version?)?  I'm new to NetBSD and would like to use it on
my laptop but cannot get a good gnome install.  In summary:

Compaq Presario 1810, 64 MB RAM, 976 MB allocated to NetBSD (It also runs
SuSE Linux 6.4, Suse Linux 7.0, and (sigh) Win NT SP6a).  wd0a is 90 MB, wd0b
is 96MB and wd0e is 766 MB.  Nothing seems to run out of space.

Using bootlap1 and 2 and an ftp install of the full system plux X seems to
work fine in about 30 minutes.  Installation of NetBSD-current pkgsrc.tar.gz
appears good in about 50 minutes (It has been necessary to install
gdk-pixbuf-0.10.0 and gdk-pixbuf-gnom-0.10.0 from source).

I've attempted to install gnome-1.2.0, gnome-1.2.1, gnome-1.2.1nb1, and gnome
1.2.4 with no success (Each time on a fresh copy of 1.5 - Many dependency
problems and always a failure including "Too many open files").  Have tried
recursively doing pkg_add of the above and have made some progress.  I've
added " > add.log" to the "pkg_add -v ... " to try to see what errors are
being generated without having to stare at the screen for error messages (is
there a log facility for installations?  If so, I missed it in the
documentation).

Now I'm trying to install the gnome packages one at at time based upon error
messages...  Loooonnnngggg  process.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave